Background

Monday, April 29, 2013

Celebrate!

Jillian turned 9 this month (Blessing #1139) and for her birthday we decided to try and make a balance beam for her. I found a DIY website that made the beam construction sound pretty easy(#1140), so we got the supplies (after procrastinating several days) and began construction (after procrastinating some more) 2 days before the big day. Plenty of time!

 

First, we glued 6 8-ft 6x1 boards together. Then we enlisted the help of our handy neighbor to plane the boards to make them even and smooth. (Thanks, Mr Lum!). And then Jacob and Chad attached the legs.

Next, I wrapped it with padding and imitation leather, and Waa-Laa!

This is how you hug a balance beam!

Jillian spent the next 2 days celebrating. (#1141) After school that Friday, Jillian had a party at Gutterz Bowling with 8 extremely energetic little friends (the longest 2 hours of my day).

Jacob & Jenica even found a spot in this photo

And then we picked up Jillian's special friend Marilyn and took her to McDonalds for supper. Marilyn loves Jillian and sits by us in church every Sunday. Marilyn had been looking forward to Jillian's birthday just as much as Jillian. Jillian and her friend Ava provided the entertainment for everyone at McDonalds that night....just ask the Stratton's. (#1142)

Jillian, Ava, Marilyn

The next day, we celebrated her long-anticipated birthday with our families that lives close by. (#1143) Since my nephew Adam had a birthday the same week, we celebrated his birthday also (#1144). As you can see, Jillian got into the play makeup before we lit the candles.

Jillian (9) & Adam (8)

 

4 comments:

  1. That is so awesome! What a PERFECT gift for her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I realize your post is several years old, but I am wondering what type of padding you used to cover your beam and where did you purchase it. I'd like to make my daughter one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I realize your post is several years old, but I am wondering what type of padding you used to cover your beam and where did you purchase it. I'd like to make my daughter one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I followed the instructions at http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Balance-Beam to make the beam. For the padding, I just used quilt batting and stapled it to the underside of the beam. Then I used an imitation leather fabric I found at Hobby Lobby and wrapped the beam, stapling it underneath. I hope this helps! My daughter still loves her beam. :)

    ReplyDelete