Background

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Shared Produce

What does one do with beets?  Well, it depends on who you ask. 

A friend of ours surprised us with some produce from his (enormous) garden (Blessing #1190), after he heard that our dog helped himself to our garden veggies.  Among the treasures he shared were beets.  His advice was to pickle them.  I waited until he left to wrinkle my nose. 

So I proceeded to ask a few of my friends if they had a better idea.  What do you do with beets?   One said "Ewww!  You throw them out!"  I knew she wasn't the one to ask.  Another friend suggested Beet Chips, which were "okay," but not as crispy as Martha's.  I decided that my slicer didn't slice them thin enough. 




And several suggested to pickle them.  Really?  Pickle them?  Ewww!   But my mom agreed:  pickle those babies! 

My mom shared my grandma Viola's recipe with me, and so I began the process.  It really wasn't that hard.  And they look so beautiful in my cute little pint-sized jars.  (#1191)


 
 
I tried one . . . and wrinkled my nose.  I'm sticking with "ewwww!"   I ended up sharing them.  All of the jars went to my mom, my sister, and my mother-in-law, who absolutely love pickled beets.  It was fun to see their excitement, as I gladly shared my pretty little jars of pickled beets with the beet-lovers of my family.  (#1192)

1 comment:

  1. But they make a great decoration in your kitchen! I had a jar in our kitchen in Winterset for quite a long time. I threw them out before moving here. Now I wish I hadn't because they added some for color. I expect to see them displayed proudly next time I come over:)

    ReplyDelete