Background

Sunday, June 3, 2012

May Joy Dare


As you know, I've been counting the gifts, and each month Ann Voskamp throws out a challenge to find 3 gifts each day that reflect God's gracious love as we live life, taking time to see the gifts God is placing around us.  Here are the blessings I found in May.

(Blessings #746-839)

3 Gifts Tasted
- Chicken taco during lunch with a friend at La Hacienda
- TCBY with my kiddos
- Farm fresh eggs, in exchange for grass clipping to feed the cows

3 Gifts Flat
- orange wings on the butterfly that fluttered past my face as I mowed the yard
- the plains where we live, very very flat, making driving from point A to B faster and easier than the curvy/hilly roads in neighboring states. 
- college dorm sheets; washed, dried, and folded flat until fall.

3 Gifts Found In Difficult People
- a reminder that they are dealing with their own battles
- an opportunity to practice patience
- a reminder that Jesus went to the cross for that person too

3 Gifts Before 9am
- waking up to the symphony of birds, outside my open window
- the great mood everyone was in before school today
- sharing a fresh blueberry bagel with my teenage daughter, who toasted them for us.  And then I made one for my hubby too.

A Sign - "1st Grade" - the spot back stage where Jillian's ballet group lines up before taking stage
A Smile - Jillian's joy over completing her first dance recital "rehearsal" and practicing on stage.
A Snack - soft chewy chocolate chip toffee cookies (made with white whole wheat flour)

Found In Christ
- my identity is found in Him, not in things or others
- my confidence rests in Him.  There is nothing I need that He cannot provide.
- He is my light, in whom there is no darkness at all

About My Home
- hardwood cherry floors - love them!
- stability (when other homes are filled with violence and pain, as reminded by the news recently)
- lots of memories, having lived here 16 years

Inside A Closet
- my wedding dress, in my mom's closet (her house is bigger than mine)
- school boxes holding treasures of each school year for each of my children (that's a lot of boxes!)
- winter coats, tucked away until next winter, as we welcomed an early spring

Found in the Dark
- millions of stars, twinkling in the depths of the sky
- our faithful owl, alerting us to his presence each night
- a soft warm bed for my tired body

Outside - flowers blooming, sun shining
Inside - MyBridgeRadio playing non-stop
Upside Down - Jillian working diligently on her handstands and cartwheels

About Your Parents
Philippians 1:3 - "I thank my God in all my rememberances of you."
- they gave me roots and wings
- their generosity and giving of themselves to lend a helping hand.  They sacrifice much.
- their love and support, and the way they cheer for their grandkids and attend as many of their activities as possible.  Their grandkids feel their love and support in a big way.

Held In Your Hand Today
- bread dough, being formed into dinner rolls
- Big, happy, colorful, beautiful "Happy Birthday" flowers from my mother-in-law and father-in-law.  So sweet of them!
- buttery theater popcorn, brought home from work by my favorite son

Found in My Mother
- She generously gives of her time to others.
- She loves the Lord.  For as long as I can remember, she regularly read her Bible (the one with the dark green cover)
- She's a great cook, and taught me how to bake many, many yummy things from scratch.
me and my mom

Picked Up - my girls from school, always fun to hear about their day.
Put Away - Put away my worries with prayer
Put Back - Helped put back my daughter's fears by reminding her of God's protection.

About Me
- I am nothing without Him.  "No one can receive anything unless God gives it from Heaven."  John 3:27
- I love everything about nature . . . AND the mountains!
- I am weak, therefore the strength that shines through me during trials isn't from me, it's from the Lord.

Found in His Word
- Philippians 4:4-7 (peace that surpasses all understanding)
- Proverbs 27:17 (lunch with a good friend, and a long walk in the morning with another)
- Deuteronomy 31:6 (God is always with me, so there's no reason to be afraid)

In a Box - strawberries, happily dipped in chocolate for Jenica's 14th Birthday party
In a Bag - Subway lunch with Jake after he rototilled the garden for me (without complaining or procrastinating)
In A Book - Jillian received her last book order of the year and has already started reading them

Unexpected
- As my daughter and 5 friends were getting ready for their last Jr High dance, 2 of Jenica's friends asked me to fix their hair for them.
- That Jillian's fear of losing didn't keep her from participating in the elementary field day with smiles on her face today.
- That Jillian tried a strawberry for the first time and discovered that she likes them!

From My Childhood
- Spending time frequently with my grandparents, since they all lived close by.  Not everyone gets that blessings.
- Regular family gatherings for all the holidays, birthdays, and out-of-state guests.
- Growing up on a farm, searching for treasures in the pastures, making tree houses and teepees.

Sweet - snuggling in the hammock with my girls
Sour - lemonade leftover from Jenica's slumber party
Salty - Matthew 5:13-16 (we are called to be salt and light)

Found In Little People
- excitement about life.   Oh, and lots of giggles.
- joy in simple things
- unconditional love and honesty

That Made Me Laugh
- Erin's experience with the "service bird"  with the beady eyes at the grocery store
- At Jake's baseball game, when a friend cheered for the boy up to bat, thinking he was her son, but finding out later that he wasn't.  (They all look alike in their uniforms and hats)
- Jillian's contagious belly laugh - for no other reason than she's happy.

Found In Community
- Softball parents taking turns supplying water bottles for the team at each of Jenica's (many) games.
- 8th grade parents, working together to organize an end-of-the-year cookout for all 8th graders as they move on to high school in the fall
- Facebook community giving shouts of encouragement when someone needs it and joy when celebrating.

On a Plate - an antique plate that cleaned up well after being rescued from an old run-down farmhouse
In a Cup - pretzel bites from the mall
In a Package - new hiking boots for our trip to Estes soon

Hard Giving Thanks For
- going to bed late, getting up early - all so I can head up to the Rockies with my hubby for a long weekend
- saying goodbye to our kids, as Chad & I leave for a little getaway in Estes Park
- days when I don't feel the best

Worn - new hiking boots, thankful to hike on the "rooftop of the Rockies" of Rocky Mtn National Park at 12,000 feet.
White - snow, clouds close enough to touch, white water rushing over boulders and rocks at RMNP
Whispered - gentle wind whispering throug the fragrant pines.

Found In Church (God's Outdoor Sanctuary in RMNP)
- majestic mountains, shouting God's grandeur, full of His handprints, as they were created by Him for us to enjoy
- Biking, Hiking, and Surviving
- Hummingbirds, Elk, trout, chipmunks, butterflies, and other wildlife we found in the mountains

Found In Today's Work
- Sadness in leaving the mountains turns to joy as we travel back home to see our kiddos after 4 days away.
- cheap gas at Big Springs ($3.31/gal)
- Safety as we travel on a busy interstate

At 8am - Filling in for our church secretary today.
At Noon - hearing Jillian's excitement as she told me about her first day at summer school, and the hug she gave me as I got home for my lunch break.
At 8pm - attending Jake's baseball game - watching as he patiently coaches his team - he does such a great job with them.
At the Jack Waller Tournament - they got 3rd place in the U14 age group
Blue
- Blueberry bagels leftover from Estes
- dark blueish-gray rain clouds, moving towards us, filled with rain (and hail)
- the calm after the storm exposing the pure blue sky behind the clouds

That I Gave Today
- provided water bottles to Jenica's softball team at a double header in a nearby town
- cupcakes made for Jake's team, in celebration of his bookkeeper's 40th Bday.  (Keeping book isn't an easy job.  I've tried it.  Once.  And was quickly replaced.)
- Hugs freely given to Jillian who has told me 100 times that she's gonna miss me when Jenica and I are in Washington DC next week.

Click here and print out the "June Joy Dare," and join me in counting the gifts. Praising the One who fills our cup. 

No comments:

Post a Comment