Background

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Taco Chicken Bowls

I tried a new recipe today. And it was A-MAZ-ING! (Blessing #922)

(photo from Budget Bytes)
 

Not only did it taste great, but it was super duper easy (#923), and cost only $10.66 for the whole thing. (#924)

I stumbled upon a blog called "Budget Bytes", which is full of great recipes that don't cost much. I thought it would be a great resource for Jacob at college, but I found a few recipes I wanted to try also.

The Taco Chicken Bowls I made today were so easy! You just dump and heat. I made it in my crockpot before church this morning, and when I got home, I just had to cook the rice and shred the chicken. It was so simple! And even Jillian liked it! (#925)

Taco Chicken Bowls
(serves 8)

1.5 pounds chicken breasts
1 (16 oz) jar salsa (I used picante sauce)
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained
8 oz frozen corn
1 TB chili powder
1/2 TB cumin
1/2 TB minced garlic
1/2 TB dried oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp salt
Cracked pepper, to taste
2 c. Dry rice
8 oz shredded cheese
1/2 bunch Cilantro
 
In crockpot, combine all ingredients except rice, cheese and cilantro. Add 1/4 cup water to crockpot. Stir, but make sure chicken is on bottom. Cook on low 8 hrs (or on high 4 hrs).

Near end of cooking time, cook 2 cups rice according to package directions.

While rice is cooking, use forks to shred chicken.

 

To build your taco bowl, layer the following:

Rice, chicken taco mix, shredded cheese, and fresh cilantro.

And if you want to make it even easier, just use a package of taco seasoning in place of the individual spices.

Wa-lah! And if I can get Jillian to eat it, it defintely a keeper.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment