Background

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Finding Rest

When faced with a problem, my initial reaction is to accept it, weigh my options, figure out a solution, and move forward.  I am a problem-solver by nature.  I had a boss one time who said, "don't come to me with a problem, unless you've attempted to come up with a solution."  I love that advice! 
 
But what about those problems where there's another person involved?   I can only control my own response.  I can't control the actions of others.  So what do I do with those struggles?  Or when the problem just isn't going away and seems to be lasting forever? 
 
When I'm feeling weary . . . When I'm feeling heavy-laden . . . When I'm feeling frustrated . . . discouraged . . . overwhelmed . . . and exhausted?
 
What are my options?
  • There’s HGTV and the Food Channel.
  • There’s calling someone and complaining.
  • There’s pumping myself up with positive self-talk.
  • There’s finding something comforting in the fridge or that bag of chocolates.
  • And of course there’s always pity-parties.

  • But it seems to me that the best option is taking it to the only One who can fully satisfy our every need.  Including rest.  And that solution is Jesus.  (Blessing #1111)
     
     
     
     
    But just how does Jesus give us rest?   By showing us The Father.  By reminding us to trust the One who is big enough to handle whatever problem comes our way.  I picture myself as a little girl, climbing up onto the lap of my daddy, and hearing him say, "it's going to be okay, Janet.  Everything will be okay."  It's like that with God too.  We can climb up onto his lap, feel his loving arms around us, and hear His words, "everything is going to be okay.  I've got this.  You can trust me."
     
     
    Matthew 11:28-29
    28 Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”
     
     

    No comments:

    Post a Comment