Background

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Buttery-Garlic Bread Sticks

This is the time of year when I don't do a lot of baking nor cooking.  With Jacob in college, Chad's long hours at football, Jenica's time at softball practice, and Jillian's picky eating behaviors, no one's home at the same time and they're usually eating on the run, so why bother?   

But when a dear friend gifted her lovingly-used Kitchenaid Mixer to me this week (Blessing #928), I knew the first recipe I was going to make.  A copy-cat recipe for . . . (drum roll, please) . . .  Olive Garden's savory bread sticks.  Even with everyone's the goofy hours, I knew they'd take time to eat 'em up.  If nothing else, they'd just grab and go.



I've never-ever used a Kitchenaid Mixer with the fancy dough attachment before.  I know, that's hard to believe, but it's true.  I love to bake, but never wanted to spend that much on a mixer before.  I've priced them.  And they are so beautiful in all their fun colors.  (I've admired them in stores, and red's my favorite.)  But cha-ching!  So imagine my excitement to have one just "land" on my counter.  (Thank you, Thank you, dear friend!)  Used or not, I was pumped!  And the first thing I wanted to try was the dough attachment. 

I think I'm in love.

I may make bread every day from now on.  Okay, probably not.  But it's tempting. 

I hope you decide to make them, too.  They are DEE-LISH!  The key ingredient to these breadsticks is sea salt sprinkled on top before baking.  They can, of course, be made without a Kitchenaid, but it's not quite as fun. 

Olive Garden Bread Sticks
(courtesy of Pinterest - insert hubby rolling his eyes whenever he hears the "P" word)
Dough:  
1 1/2 c. warm water
2 TB sugar
1 TB yeast
1 TB salt
2 TB butter, softened
4-5 c. flour (I used just a smidge over 4 cups)

Topping:
3-4 TB melted butter
Seat Salt
1 tsp. Garlic Powder

Mix water, yeast, and sugar.  Let set 10 minutes til frothy.  Add salt, butter, and just 2 cups flour.  Mix well.  Add remaining flour, 1 cup at a time.  Knead (using Kitchenaid bread attachment, which mixes dough til it's perfectly beautiful). Let rest 1 hour or til doubled in size. 

Roll dough into a long log.  Spray knife with cooking spray, then cut into 12-14 pieces.  Roll those pieces into 6" long snakes.  Spray 2 large cookie sheets and lay bread sticks on top, leaving 2" between each rope. 

Place in warm oven (170 degrees) and let rise 15 minutes or til double.  Once risen, brush with 2 TB melted butter and sprinkle with sea salt.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Bake 12-14 minutes.  Combine remaining butter with garlic, then brush over baked bread.  Serve warm.  Watch them disappear before your very eyes, as little (and big) hands keep reaching for just one more.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment