Background

Monday, September 24, 2012

The Excitement of Harvest

I absolutely LOVE this time of year.  The weather begins to change, nights are getting cooler, the A/C gets a break, leaves start turning colors, and the farmers fire up their combines.  (Blessing #942)


Ahh, yes, the excitement of harvest is definitely in the air.

I've seen the hard work that goes into raising crops.  I watched my dad work hard from sun up to sun down.  From spring planting, through the heat of summer, to the harvest each fall.  There is so much time, energy, money, and faith put into raising crops. 

And the best part of that process has finally arrived.  Harvest.  It's a time when farmers get to see the fruit of their labor.  (#943)

And it's also a time for COMBINE RIDES! 



Last weekend, the girls & I headed to my parents' farm for a sweet taste of harvest. 

It's always fun to show up at the field with food.  As a little girl, I remember my mom and I taking meals to my dad and my grandpa in the field, where we'd have a picnic on the tailgate of the pickup.  (#944)  So naturally, I had to bring food with me this time too.  Runzas for everyone!



We all took turns riding with my dad in his combine.  Up and down the bean field.   Watching the beans go from the stems in the field, through the combine, and into the trucks. 


"Here's a few more for ya, grandpa!"



Harvest is an exciting time.  And I'm so grateful that we live close enough to trot on over to the family farm and see it in action one more time.  (#945)


This year has a bitter-sweet ending though, as my dad is retiring from farming after harvest is complete.  He's worked so hard for so many years, and he totally deserves a little R&R.   He's heading into a new season of his life.  One that will involve more time at the lake, more traveling, more time with his family, and far less stress when it comes to hail storms approaching the crops he's blanketed with TLC.  Dad, I'm so proud of you!  You're a great example for all of us, and I'm so excited for you as you move into this next season of your life.  Keep smilin', don't take any wooden nickels, and keep the shiney side up!

No comments:

Post a Comment