Background

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

A Dream Come True

My parents have been spending their winters in Texas for 13 years, but we've never been able to visit them because our school breaks are always too short.  Until this year!  Our school board approved a longer than normal Christmas Break (Blessing #1197), so we took advantage of it and took a little vacation down south.  (#1198)   After spending a couple days in San Antonio, we arrived in McAllen and my parents RV resort.  (#1199)




Our chauffeur for the day we spent on South Padre Island was my 88-year-old grandfather with my 87-year-old grandmother as the co-pilot. (#1200) 



They're so cute!  My grandpa said, "you made my day by being here."  Awwwe... (I bet it was more like week month year!) The cold, rainy, windy day wasn't about to stop us from walking on the beach. It wasn't the warm sunny beach we had hoped for, but it was "grandma's beach" and that's why it was so special.  (#1201) 




Grandma picked up many buckets of seashells on that sand.  And Grandpa loved showing us "his" island.  Due to their failing health, this may be the last winter they get to travel to Texas.  It warmed my heart to see first-hand the place they've called "home" four months a year.  (#1202)

For a quarter each, we walked across the bridge and into Mexico!
Getting back into the US required passports and 35 cents, along
with an explanation of what was in our shopping bags.

We took in as much as possible while we were in Texas (#1203), and now when we hear my folks talk about everything from "Gonzales Burgers" to "Don Wes Flea Market", we smile and know exactly what they're talking about.  (#1204)  I'm glad my mom made a list of all the highlights of the area so we could squeeze in as much as possible.  (#1205) I totally understand why they like it there.  Everything's green, the fruit and veggies are still going strong, there are palm trees everywhere, there's lots to do, and the weather's (usually) nice and spring-like. (#1206) 

Pirate's Landing at Port Isabelle


Check out Jillian's hotdog at Willie D's!  She learned first-hand that everything's bigger in Texas.



We had such a great time, and as we said our "goodbyes" and prepared for our 18-hour drive home, my dad whispered: "this was a dream come true".  For me too, dad.  (#1207)

No comments:

Post a Comment