Background

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Best Father-In-Law Ever

"I thank my God every time I remember you.” Philippians 1:3

Chad and his dad, November 2013
 
My father-in-law was one of the sweetest, kindest, caring men I have ever met.  A week ago today, he breathed his final breath and entered into eternity.  He touched many, many lives.  He was so very easy to love.  How could anyone not love Ken Bailey? 

Much like my husband,  he always bumped into someone he knew everywhere he went.  He was a friend to many.  In fact, so many of the same qualities I love about Ken can also be found in my husband.  

I thank God for choosing Ken to be my father-in-law.  I'm so glad I didn't miss out on knowing him.  I just wish his life wasn't cut so short.  After all, 72 isn't that old.  There were so many more memories left to be had.  But I won't focus on the what-if's and if-only's.  Instead, I am going to smile when something during the day reminds me of Ken, and I am going to Thank God every time I think of him. 

Last Friday, with nearly every seat in the church filled, we celebrated a life well lived.  His love for teaching and coaching was evident in the lives he touched, but his favorite role was that of "father," "grandpa", and "uncle." 

One of my favorite stories centers around the day he retired.  Ken retired from teaching in May of 1998.  In fact, he missed his very last day of teaching to be at the hospital with us when Jenica was born.  He never missed school; he never used any sick days.  But on May 18th, he wanted to be there for us, and for the birth of his grandchild.  And when Jenica needed to be airlifted to Omaha, he drove Chad to Children's Hospital to be with his granddaughter.  On his very last day of school. 


I wish we didn't have to say "good-bye" quite so soon.  It's been a really hard week and we're going to miss him terribly. So if you see us in the days to come, with tears quietly streaming down our cheeks, smile and tell God "thank you" for those that you hold dear to your hearts. 

The Broken Chain
 
We little knew that morning
that God would call your name.
in life we loved you dearly,
in death we do the same.
 
It broke our hearts to lose you,
you did not go alone;
for part of us went with you,
the day God called you home.
 
You left us peaceful memories,
your love is still our guide;
and though we cannot see you,
you are always at our side.
 
Our family chain is broken
and nothing seems the same;
but as God calls us one by one,
the Chain will link again.


No comments:

Post a Comment