Background

Friday, January 17, 2014

The Best Kind of Investment

When you become a parent, your perspective on just about everything changes, because you now see a precious little life in front of you that you want to protect at all costs. 

January 2007, shortly after bringing Jillian home.

If you're a young adult now, and texting and driving seems like no big deal to you, I am certain that will change when you have children.  I remember wishing I could put my child (and myself) in a bubble that could not be broken, hoping to keep him from all the dangers this world lunges towards us.  But my selfish attitude showed very little faith and a lack of trust.  After a while, I realized that I was gonna drive myself crazy, worrying about all the dangerous what-ifs.  I needed to release my children and trust God to protect them.  After all, I can't be with them 24/7.  Nor do I want to.  We all need a break every now and then, right?  Even if that break is just long enough to use the bathroom in privacy. 

It's when my children became teenagers that I realized the importance of having trustworthy people involved in their lives. 

Jacob's 8th Grade Graduation

There are so many negative influences pulling for our teens attention, and I love when God puts special people in their lives to be a positive influence.  People who are willing to invest in them.  People who have crazy-busy schedules, but see the importance (and hopefully the joy) of spending a little quality time building relationships with them.  It's a tough world they're growing up in.  And it's such a blessing, as a mom, to know that God has placed really special people in the lives of my children, who are so willing to give of their time, for a greater purpose. 

I'm seeing the full effects of that blessing with my adult son.  So many Godly men have invested in his life, for which I am eternally grateful.  I'm sure they have no idea the impact they've had.  I don't think I even fully realize their impact.  But I can see the fruit being produced because of the time they spent invested. 

My prayer is that every young person today has that same blessing.  Someone to come along side them (in addition to their parents), building a relationship with them, willing to invest in them.  The timing may not always be the most convenient, and the rewards may seem small (or even nonapparent) at the time, and the teen may not even be appreciative.  But it's all about our perspective... or more importantly, the attitude of our hearts. 

So, who does God want me to invest in? 

No comments:

Post a Comment