Background

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Sweet Blessings

If you know me even a little bit, you know that I have a big sweet tooth.  I love to bake.  Not out of a box.  By scratch.  I've done lots of baking the last couple of days.  So, I have some recipes to share with you.  The blessings I'm posting today involved sugar, creamy butter, and my oven.

First, I made Peanut Butter Cups.  (Blessing #326)  Today was the Holdrege Coaches Clinic, and as wives, we were in charge of making desserts for the coaches along with helping serve the noon meal.  I also made Peanut Butter Swirl Bars (#327) for the Clinic, but they weren't as good as the other two recipes so I don't think I'll post that recipe.


Peanut Butter Cups
Melt 2 sticks of butter.
Add:
1 3/4 cups Rice Krispies (measure 1 3/4 cup, then mash them into crumbs and add enough grahm cracker crumbs to make 1 3/4 cup total).
Mix in:
1 cup creamy peanut butter
2 1/3 c. powdered sugar
Pat into 9 x 13 pan.
Melt 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips and frost over the top.  Put in fridge to set.  Then cut into small squares.


I made 2 pans of sweets for the Clinic.  And it's a good thing the girls & I each grabbed one (or two) from each pan, because there were no leftovers to bring home.  So this afternoon, I decided to bake something for our family. 

I browsed the Pioneer Woman's blog for some brownies to bake, which lead me to the Tasty Kitchen blog.   And it was on the Tasty Kitchen website that I found the recipe for . . . CONGO BARS!!


Oh, my stars!  Congo Bars!  I found the recipe for one of my absolute favorite brownie-type of bars.  (Blessing #328)  When I was in college, my friends and I were excited each time we saw "Congo Bars" on the menu at the Cafeteria.  We loved them!  But I could never find the recipe.  I googled the recipe again a couple months ago and couldn't find it.  So imagine my delight when the Pioneer Woman led me to the recipe!  They are amazing!   Even better than I remembered.  (I borrowed this picture from her.)
Congo Bars
2 3/4 c. flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
Sift these items together, then set aside. 

In another large bowl, mix:
2 c. brown sugar
2/3 c. butter, softened
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 pkg milk chocolate chips (I used up what I had left in 3 different bags:  Semi-sweet, milk chocolate, and white chocolate - which ended up being 2 cups.  It was a delicious combination!)
1 c. chopped pecans (optional)

Do not use mixer.  (If you want them to be perfect, stir them by hand.)  Stir brown sugar into softened butter until butter disappears.  Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.  Add vanilla, chips, and nuts and mix well.  Then add the dry flour mixture and stir until well combined.  Spread into greased 9 x 13 pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.  Don't overbake.  Test doneness with toothpicks.  If top begins to get too brown, put a piece of aluminum foil over the top for the last 5-10 minutes of baking. 

I used 3 kinds of chips in my batter:  white chocolate, milk chocolate, and semi-sweet chocolate.  It was an AMAZING combination! 

Look at this beautiful batter, which I borrowed from the Bakerella blog: (you can find the recipe there, too)

And the end result is amazing!  They're a cross between cookies and brownies. 

Okay. . . I'm going to go get another one. . . I'll be back later.

No comments:

Post a Comment