Background

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Care Package

Since Jacob is off at college, and "finals week" is next week, we had the privilege of putting together a care package for him (#66) with some of his favorite things.  One of the things I know he is going to L.O.V.E is the m&m gourmet caramel apple (#67) that I made for him today.  (I made a few extras for the rest of us.)  I finished making it just in time to include it in the box and get it down to the post office before they closed.  I love the flat-rate priority boxes the PO has available.  I know that Jacob's package will arrive at his dorm TOMORROW morning!  However, I was informed by the nice lady that works behind the counter at the PO that if the government closes all those PO's like they're talking about, no one will EVER get next-day delivery again.  One of the things I am thankful for today, is that I can send a package to my son (who's away at college) today at 5pm, knowing he'll have it by 8am tomorrow morning. (#68)

Here's my Caramel Apple Recipe:
1 c. butter
2 c. brown sugar
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
1 c. light corn syrup
1 pinch salt
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla (add after finished boiling)
In heavy pan, combine butter, sugar, sweetened condensed milk, corn syrup, and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.  Heat to between 234-240 degrees.  Cook for 2 minutes at that temperature.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.  Dip green granny smith apple in caramel; let excess drip off of apple; set on waxed paper.  After caramel has cooled, dip in milk chocolate (melted chocolate chips with a little crisco), allow chocolate to set slightly before dipping in toppings.  I like to use mini m&ms, crushed peanuts, crushed oreos, chopped reeses peanut butter cups, mini chocolate chips, or any other favorite candy.  Drizzle lightly with melted white chocolate chips, followed by melted semi-sweet chocolate chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment