Background

Saturday, December 10, 2011

What Happens on the Playground, Stays on the Playground

Yesterday, I ate lunch with Jillian at her school (#76).  We had Swedish meatballs and soggy french fries.  Jillian was so excited to have me eat with her.  She hugged me several times to thank me.  Hugs from Jillian are the best!  (#77) 

I had told her that I'd also go to recess with her, so she and her friends had made plans on what we'd do while "Jillian's mom" was there.  There was still lots of snow on the playground, so several of the boys were trying to roll giant sized snowballs to make a fort out of.  Some were playing on the playground equipment.  Another group of kids were sliding on the icy cement slab where everyone lines up when the bell rings.  But our little group was playing "Ice, Ice Eskimo" in the snow (#78).  It's actually the winter name these girls use for "Duck, Duck, Goose."  Izzy was quick to tell me that she came up with the name all by herself.  Instead of sitting in the snow and getting our hineys all wet, we all agreed to squat instead.

One little girl decided to eat some snow, and the chain reaction began quickly.  I did not participate, however.  Instead I was the party-pooper who tried to convince them that the snow, even though it looked white and clean, was dirty from all the kids running on it.  When someone tapped my head and said "Eskimo!", I had to run around the cirle and try to tag them before they got back to the circle.  I didn't have on the right shoes for this game, and I could get absolutely no traction to catch up with the girls.  Jillian felt sorry for me, so she asked her friends not to run so fast when I was the "Eskimo."  When Jillian and I chased each other around the circle, she walked so I could catch up with her and tag her.  She has such a sweet little heart of compassion (#78).

Jenica had 3 friends come over last night to spend the night.  It's so much fun to hear them giggling and enjoying each other's company (#79).  They were working on "Door Decorations" for one of the 8th grade doors at school, while listening to Justin Beiber's Christmas album (over and over and over) in the dining room.  I think they got to bed around 2am.  Aaargh....  Good thing they're young!

No comments:

Post a Comment