Background

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Eve Blessings

I'm still counting my Blessings, praising the One who provides them.  Blessings can be found some unusual places. For example . . .

Under the tree ~ Okay, that's not so "unusual."  But what Jillian did was pretty sweet.  She saw me wrapping gifts, and watched them slowly accumulate under the tree.  She wanted to give a few presents of her own.  So, she began searching her art table and her toy room for things she could regift.  The first two gifts were wrapped in plain writing paper, and labeled:  "To Jillian.  From Jillian."  After we talked about how happy our hearts feel when we give gifts to others, she started gathering items to wrap for the rest of the family.  (She used 2 rolls of tape, but that's okay.  I know she likes to use tape, so I keep extra on hand at all times.)  We all have some special surprises under the tree from Jillian.  (Blessing #132)
In the mailbox ~  I got THE best surprise in the mail this week from a great friend, whom I really miss.  Peppermint Hot Cocoa. Oh, my stars! Yum!!  Thank you, dear friend, for giving me something visible to remember you by as we celebrate Christmas hundreds of miles apart.  I knew the perfect mug to drink it out of ~ the one my sister gave me for my birthday last year.  Ahhh. . . . a perfect combination. (#133)

In the dreams of a child ~ Jillian enjoyed a 6-week Art Class at the Y, and her final class was Thursday night.  She brought home all of her projects to proudly display.  Notice the necklace she's wearing?  She made the 4 round clay beads, along with a purple "Duster", and then added some additional color with a few plastic beads too.  She used the same clay bead process to make the snowman ornament.  And the sculpture is an inspiration from Louise Nevelson, who created monocromatic wooden layered sculptures similar to this piece.  I'm told there's another art project under the tree, and I'll find out what it is later tonight.  Jillian wants to be a famous artist someday. That's her dream.  Not just an artist.  But a famous artist.  (#134)



In a big pot on the stove ~ Apple Cider is one of my favorite things at Christmas.  The recipe I always go back to is the one my mom always made.  A gallon of Wilderness Apple Cider + a few cinnamon sticks + about 16 whole cloves + a big spoonful of brown sugar.  The flavor brings back memories of Christmases past. (#135)

In a worn-out recipe card ~  I have been trying to make several kinds of homemade bread without the help of my breadmaker for the last few days to take to my mom's for Christmas.  The only one that I can seem to master is the sourdough bread.  (which I really like, by the way)  I wanted to try Swedish Rye bread, but that failed two times.  I am throwing in the towel, and I'm going to my old standby.  Simple dinner rolls, courtesy of the breadmaker.  They are melt-in-your mouth delicious.  I'm going to stick with the recipe cards that are splattered, stained, tattered, and torn.  At least for now. . .  (#136)

In snowflakes that float to the ground ~ It's a White Christmas.  Well, just partly white, actually.  Yes, there's still a little bit of snow on the ground. I'd prefer a little bit more.  Okay, a LOT more.  But even a little bit counts in Nebraska.  (#137)

In the oven ~ Homemade Pizza & Calzones.  One of our Christmas Traditions is to eat homemade pizza for supper on Christmas Eve.  This year, the kids want to make their own personal-sized pizza to jazz up with their own favorite toppings.  Chad & I are going to split a calzone.  Wanna know my favorite?  Pepperoni, mushroom, and green pepper.  (I'll have to post pictures later)  (#138)

At church ~ Another one of our Christmas traditions is to attend the Christmas Eve service at our church.  We have a lot of talented people in our congregation, and the Christmas Eve service is always a highlight for me.  It's what makes Chrsitmas Eve so special, in my opinion.   (#139)

In a stinky old Stable ~ Chad will read about the birth of our Savior Jesus from the Gospel of Luke this evening, which always helps to set the mood before going to church together.  I mean, just think about it.  God sent his beloved Son - His one and only son - from the glories of Heaven, and placed Him in a world full of evil and dispair.  Born in a stable, full of animals, and certainly not what you'd picture for the birth of a King.  All because of His incredible love for us.  I love the song playing on the radio right now: "When Love Was Born" by Mark Schultz.  (click on the song title, and you can watch it on YouTube)  (#140)

Merry Christmas from our home to yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment