Background

Friday, December 2, 2011

Danish Butter Cookies

My family roots trace all the way back to Denmark.  And in preparation for our Danish Christmas this Saturday at my Aunt Joyce's (weather permitting), I began my first ever attempt at making Danish Butter Cookies yesterday (#42).  This year we're doing something new, and each family is supposed to make something Danish to bring with them for afternoon snacks.  I can't wait to see what everyone came up with!  In searching the web for Danish recipes, I've discovered that Danish women must like to spend a lot of time in the kitchen.  There is so much preparation, and so many steps involved (often completed hours apart), that I can't imagine how they get anything else done.  They're in the kitchen all the time!  I've also discovered that Danes really like butter, nuts (especially almonds), and fruit preserves when it comes to desserts and snacks.  It's been fun, searching different internet site for something I think I can make, and something that I think people will eat.  Here's the recipe I chose: 

Sugared Danish Butter Cookies with Pecan Halves
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Ready in: 1 day 1 hour 45 minutes  (For real!  That's what the recipe said!)
Servings:  176
Calories per Serving:  33

4 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c. white sugar
1 egg
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 c. cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
1 egg, beaten
3 TB coarse sugar crystals
88 pecan halves, toasted
1 TB coarse sugar crystals for sprinkling

Sift flour and sugar. Stir in 1 egg and vanilla until well combined.  Using a pastry cutter, cut the cold butter into the mixture until it resembles coarse cornmeal.   It takes a while, so don't give up too soon.

Shape the dough into a ball (yes, it really is possible to squish it into a ball, although I had my doubts), wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate 20 minutes. (Set the timer.  I didn't; so three hours later, I took it out of the fridge and it was a brick! I had to let it thaw out for about 3 hours until I could roll it into a log.)

Tip: store your plastic wrap in the freezer, and when you need to use it, the plastic wrap will unroll easily without getting all stuck and crumpled together. (This tip drastically reduces Saran-Wrap-Stress)

Divide the dough in half, and roll into two 11-inch-long logs.  Wrap one of the logs in waxed paper and then plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.  Place 3 TB sugar crystals on a flat pan. Brush the second log with a beaten egg and roll it in the sugar crystals, coating it thickly. 

Carefully wrap the sugared log in plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.  (At this point, the dough can be frozen until later)  I made only 1/2 recipe this time, and left out the "pecan log" and used all sugar crystals instead. 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

Cut the unsugared log of dough into round slices about 1/8" thick, and place the rounds onto the prepared baking sheets, about 1/2" apart. Top each round with a pecan half.  Cut the sugared log of dough into 1/8" slices, and place them on prepared baking sheets.  Sprinkle each cookie with more sugar crystals, if desired. 

Place one baking sheet of cookies at a time into oven. Bake until edges barely turn golden, 4-5 minutes.  (I cut mine a little too thick, and I had to let them bake for 6-7 minutes instead.)  Remove cookies to wire racks and allow to cool.          TA-DA!!

Other Blessings from today worth mentioning:  (43) Jacob and I spent some QT together today.  We went to Kearney together this morning so he could register for classes at UNK for next semester.  While he was doing the college thing, I was doing a little shopping at the mall and bumped into Chad's cousin Marci and her little guy (44) who I haven't seen in a really long time.   I enjoyed Mexican Gumbo at Q'doba with my favorite college guy (45).  Jenica's braces got a new look today with red and green bands (46) to make her smile even cuter.  Who else do you know that decorates their smile for Christmas?  More blessings:  Having Jillian assist me with my Danish Rye Bread (47).  My weekly Bible Study (48) last night with my fellow coaches wives as we studied the life of Peter while sipping on Beth's yummy caramel-apple cider (49When Jenica asked me to help her pick out clothes for the Jr High dance tonight (50).  Flat Iron Steaks purchased with a gift certificate from one of Chad's satisfied mowing clients (51), which we decided to grill tonight since the snow storm is a-comin' very soon and we won't be able to grill for a few days.  Movie Night!  We all watched "Polar Express" (52 - love this movie!) tonight - minus Jenica, who was at the dance.  And as an added bonus, we enjoyed a big bag of Movie Theater popcorn from the Sun Theater (53) while watching the movie (Thanks, Jacob!).

No comments:

Post a Comment