Background

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Return of Kitchen Klatter

The older I get, the more I apprecaite finding sweet little treasures from the past. (Blessing #177) 

This recipe box belonged to my grandma Viola.   Kitchen Klatter was a staple in her home.  Since K-K was before my time, I decided to do a little research courtesy of the internet.  You may remember (or not) that "Kitchen-Klatter" was both a radio program and a monthly magazine with Evelyn Birkby as the writer and host. It was the longest running homemaker show in the history of radio.  My mom recently rediscovered grandma's recipe box.   It's full of Kitchen Klatter recipes, handwritten by my grandma on her Kitchen Klatter recipe cards.
 
My mom was looking for something that would be easy to make in their camper while they're being snow-birds in Texas, and she discovered this Kitchen Klatter recipe for Caramel Skillet Rolls.  We willingly offered to be her taste-testers, so she gave it a test-run before taking the recipe on the road with her.

Caramel Skillet Rolls
Grandma says they are "very good"
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. pecans
2 tubes refrigerator biscuits (20)
3 TB cinnamon-sugar
Melt butter in skillet on "warm".  Stir in brown sugar and nuts.  Arrange biscuits in pan.
Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar. 
Bake at 275 for 25 minutes.
Place serving plate on top of skillet, then flip over.  And . . . Waa-Laa!
Don't they look delicious?!  When she revealed her masterpiece to the rest of us, Jacob said "I really like the white plate they're sitting on."  (Me too, Jacob!  He has good taste, which will make his wife very happy some day.)

No comments:

Post a Comment