Background

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A Thankful Heart

I've been reading a new book. It's actually a daily devotional book.
And I love it, because the words in this book are based off of scripture and God's Truths.  But it's also written in first person, as if He is speaking directly to me.  (Blessing #215)

As you know, this blog is based entirely on looking for God's Blessings in each and every day.  I want my focus to be on Him and the gifts He gives me.  And when I read today's devotional in Jesus Calling, I couldn't help but smile.  It started out like this: 

"Come to Me with a thankful heart, so that you can enjoy My Presence.  This is the day that I have made.  I want you to rejoice today, refusing to worry about tomorrow.  Search for all that I have prepared for you, anticipating abundant blessings and accepting difficulties as they come.  I can weave miracles into the most mundane day if you keep your focus on Me. . .  
. . . Come to Me with all your needs, knowing that My glorious riches are a more-than-adequate supply.  Stay in continual communication with Me, so that you can live above your circumstances even while you are in the midst of them.  Present your requests to Me with thanksgiving, and My Peace, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your heart and mind."

My favorite verses come from Philippians 4:4-7, which is exactly where the thoughts from today's devotional came from.  (Along with Psalm 118:24)  These verses have helped our family  (#216) through many trials that have come our way, as a result of health challenges for each one of us (rheumatoid arthritis plus four heart conditions). 

We are a "special needs" family, and our annual medical expenses would blow your mind.  But God blows my mind when I look at how He has blessed us through some really hard stuff.  (#217)  He always provides the strength I need to make it through.  (#218)  And with my focus on Him, I can see Him in the small stuff too.  There's that "thankful heart" again.   

This morning, Jenica and Jillian both wanted me to french braid their hair before school.  Because we were all ready for school a little early (hard to believe, I know), I had time to put their hair in a french braid.  (#219)  There was, however, a time when my arthritis wouldn't have allowed me to braid their hair - especially in the first hour of the morning.  But today, I can.  I'm thankful that I can get up in the morning without any aches and pains.  (#220)  It hasn't always been that way.  But with God's help, I've learned how to listen to my body, and what I can do to try and prevent flare-ups.  (#221) 

Even though I'm feeling pretty good, I know that a flare-up can happen again. It's just a matter of time.  I'm no longer sad about what I've gone through.  Instead, I've realized what an honor it is that God chose me for this kind of trial.  He wanted to give me the opportunity to grow in my faith, in ways that I wouldn't have, had it not been for my RA.  (#222)  God has shown me that it's good for me to be weak, so I can experience His strength. (#223)

I can't wait to read tomorrow's devotional.  I'm sure it will be just as good as today's.  Happy Tuesday, everyone!

Janet

PS - We woke up to a little SNOW today!  Yay!  (Blessing #223)

No comments:

Post a Comment