Background

Thursday, January 12, 2012

When the Wind Blows

The weather yesterday and today isn't very pleasant.  The cold north wind was gusting up to 45 mph all day yesterday.  I'm not sure what the wind chill was, but if it would snow, we'd have a blizzard.  (The farm-girl in me always keeps an eye on the weather.)

I had an appointment to get the oil changed in our car yesterday morning in Lexington, and the semi trucks were having a hard time with the wind.  As I traveled down the interstate, battling the wind, I was thinking of all the times God has protected me and I didn't even realize it.  (Blessing #201)  He protected me yesterday (#202), which I was very much aware of.  But there are many times that He protects me and my family, which I'm not even aware of.  And I'm so grateful for those unseen blessings.

When I entered the dreaded construction zone yesterday, I didn't grumble (this time) about the reduced speed of 55 mph.  I began thinking about what Jenica told me this week as she studied for a social studies test.  She told me that in the year 1900, the speed limit was 25 mph.  And if you were to travel across the country, it would take you 52 days.  I'm thankful they don't make cars like they used to.  (#203)
I am so thankful I live today, and not back then.  For many reasons.  But today, I am thankful that the speed limit is no longer 25mph.  (#204)  And that I can stay all nice and toasty-warm inside my car, while the windchill outside is hovering around zero.  (#205) 

The fierce wind, however, ended up giving me a good laugh.

I made a stop at Wal-mart before coming home.  The Kearney Wal-mart can make me crabby and anxious to leave, but not the Lexington Wal-mart.  It's friendly, inviting, and clean.  (#206)  Plus, you don't have to park a mile away.  And when it's windy like it has been, you appreciate the short walk. 

On my list yesterday:  16x25" furnace filters.  They've needed replaced for over a month now.  Actually, 2 months is probably more accurate.  (I tend to lose track of things like that during the holidays.) 

Okay. . . so, I finished up my shopping and left with several sacks, a jumbo pack of TP,  and 2 big furnace filters.  The greeter says, "Thanks for shopping at Wal-mart," and I smiled while making my way out the doors . . . with my cart . . . and into the W-I-N-D! 

WOOSH!
The 45 mph wind quickly grabbed hold of my furnace filters and lifted them out of my cart.  As I grab them before they took off like frisbees (moms learn to have a very quick reflex), the wind pushed my cart away from me.  I manage to grab the cart before it got too far away, and put the filters back inside.  Just as I got turned around and headed back into that fierce north wind, the filters acted as big white sails on a boat and yanked my cart back in the wrong direction.  I tried to keep a firm grip on my sails (aka: filters), stear the cart, and locate my car . . . with my long scarf whipping around my face to create another obstacle . . . and the wind was winning.  The only way I could get to the car was to walk backwards, and pull the cart instead push it.  I must have been quite the site.  But I made it!  And so did my filters!  The wind gave me (and the Wal-mart doorman) a good laugh yesterday.  (#207)

On the way home from Lexington, I was driving with the wind at my back.  That created a nice tail wind, and so I decided to clear out my "gas mileage" on the car to see how high it would get now that I was going with the wind.  That might seem like no big deal, but to me it was.  If you've owned an SUV, you know what I mean.  We traded our gas-guzzler a couple months ago, so I got pretty excited to see my gas mileage average between 40-41 all the way home.  (#208) 

When I headed to Lexington yesterday, I wondered, "how am I going to find a blessing in this kind of weather?"  Little did I know . . .  I can always find opportunities to be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment