Background

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Annual Girls Day Out

Every May, my mom and my sister join me on my trip to the doctor in Lincoln.  (Blessing #693)  Yesterday, as Jenica and I were getting ready for the day, my sad eyes looked at her and said "too bad you aren't going with us to Lincoln today."  And then I had this wonderful idea . . .  Take her out of school so she CAN go with us.  (Chad agreed with my wonderful idea.)  Jenica loved the idea too, so that's exactly what we did.  (#694)

The funny thing though. . . my mom didn't even realize Jenica was in the car with us for the first 5 minutes.  Jenica slipped in the backseat behind my mom as we put our things in the car, and sat quietly, as she tried to contain the laughter that was wanting so badly to burst out.  After about 5 minutes, my mom asked Erin & I if we needed anything to drink before we left town.  And then I turned towards Jenica and said "what about you, Jen?"  Surprise filled my mom's face as she looked in her rear-view mirror and said, "JEN?!"  Gotcha, grandma!  (#694)

Our first stop in always Starbucks along the interstate.  Mmmm. . . Gotta love Starbucks.  It's always a special treat for us that helps break up the long drive.  (#695)

Erin warned Jenica that we get a little silly during our annual getaway. It didn't take long before she understood what she meant.  I was in the middle of a story, when I noticed the daisies blooming in the median of I-80.  Jenica and Erin compared it to the movie "UP" when the talking dog turns his head and yells "Squirrel!" every time he sees a squirrel.


"Daisies!"  (#696)

Jenica filled Erin's ears with the group "One Direction".  This is Jenica's definition of "eye candy." 
 
Our day was full of laughing, shopping, eating, drinking, shopping, laughing, and eating some more. (#697)  We implemented our own "hippa rules" and decided that what happens in grandma's car, stays in grandma's car.  No one will ever know how many times we took advantage of $1 drinks at McDonalds.  Nor how many pit stops we needed to make.

My mom introduced us to "Cheddars" - a restaurant she really, really enjoys down in Texas.  So imagine her delight when Lincoln opened a "Cheddars!"  My best friend from Lincoln took a long lunch break and joined us for lunch.  (#698)  Oh, and Chedddars has an awesome idea with their 99 cent bite-sized desserts, served in a shot glass.  Oh, my!  DELICIOUS!  And just the perfect size.  (#699)  Red Velvet cake and Chocolate Trifle.


After a little more shopping, we picked up some stuff for my dad at "The Fort" and then headed to the pedicure place we have grown to love.  (#700)  Jenica got a bit bored, waiting for us.  She decided just to have her nails painted since she's still fighting a badly sprained ankle. And all the walking on her sore ankle (in flip-flops) shifted her mood a bit.



But all was well when Grandma got her an early birthday gift - "One Direction" will take the blah out of any girl's day.  Kudos to grandma!  (#701) 


It was dark when we got home, and Jillian was already in bed.  Another "Girls Day Out" is in the books, but I'm so glad Jenica could join us.  I think her presence will be an annual event now also.  I love you, Jenica!

No comments:

Post a Comment