Background

Monday, May 14, 2012

Mother's Day Birthday

Becoming a mom is one of the biggest joys I have ever known.  (Blessing #705) It is rewarding, yet challenging.  At times, I feel totally inadequate.  But that just keeps me on my knees, which is right where God wants me.  If I had this parenting thing figured out, I wouldn't need Him.  But oh, how I need Him.  

I recognize that becoming a mom is a gift in itself.  Not every woman gets to experience it.  And so I cherish the gift I've been given, and I don't take it for granted.  I know that these kiddos I call "mine" are actually God's children, on loan to me for a time.  They are His children first, and I'm so thankful He chose me to be their mom.  (#706)  Having three kids with heart conditions, I learned early on the peace I can have when I release my children to Him.  I don't worry as much, knowing they're in His great big hands.  I can't be with them 24/7, but God can.  (#707)

Samuel 1:27-28
I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him. So now I give him to the Lord. For his whole life he will be given over to the Lord.” And he worshiped the Lord there.

They make me laugh, each in their own unique ways.  Take Jacob's new . . . ummmm . . . what do I call that thing on his face?  Mustache, maybe?  Jacob has increased my vocabulary.  Thanks to him, I know what a "chin strap", "soul patch," and "goatee" look like. 


Before I could tell Jenica to stay in her church clothes, she had already changed into a t-shirt and long athletic shorts.  But this is Jenica's look.  It's what she loves the most.


Jillian, on the other hand, would wear her dress all day, if it wouldn't interfere with her carwheels, headstands, or flips on the trampoline.  She was less than thrilled at our menu for the day.  I had to remind her that it was my day to pick some of my favorite foods.  No hot dogs, won-ton soup, or mac-n-cheese in today's line-up. 


And I couldn't go through this thing called "life" without my best friend and husband ~ Chad. (#708)  He's the glue that keeps us together, and our Faith is the Rock we stand on.  He's the best husband I could have ever wished for.  God new exactly what I needed when He led Chad & I together during our college days. 

(He was quick to change out of his church clothes too.)

Mother's Day was extra special this year, because it also happened to be my birthday.  (#709)  My blessings were abundant and too many to list here.  But my parents and my sister's family joined us mid-afternoon for some birthday cake.  (German Chocolate - my fav! #710)  It was an absolutely gorgeous day (#711), so we spent most of the time outside on the deck.  Our in-house pyro-tech Dave lit off some loud fireworks.  Mom ran to the store to get all the fixings for tacos, and we enjoyed a late supper together.  As a bonus, the moms in the house got to get their food first. (#712)  What?!  (Gasp)  The kids weren't first?  Nope.  Not on Mother's Day.   (Great idea, dad!)

Erin, Me, and Mom

A little trivia:  The next time my birthday falls on Mother's Day will be the year 2018. 

My mom is a very generous, caring, loving person with a strong faith, and she loves spending time with her family.  They mean the world to her, and has set a great example of sacrificing for the benefit of others.  We're grateful to live only 30 minutes away, and that we can get together often. (#713)  Happy Mother's Day, Mom! 

No comments:

Post a Comment