Background

Monday, April 2, 2012

April Fools

As the head chef, I get to plan the menu for my family.  And the menu on April Fools Day is especially fun for me.  (Blessing #456) 

"Cupcakes" for lunch, anyone? 

Jillian was so pumped that mommy let her have 3 cupcakes for lunch.  (#457)  Thumbs up, Jillian!

 

However . . . These aren't your typical cupcakes.  (insert evil laugh)

Jillian took one bite and a look of confusion quickly appeared.  She said "these cupcakes taste different."

"That's because it's really meatloaf topped with tinted mashed potatoes, Jillian!" 

Surprise! 


Jacob and Jenica knew about my little trick. I made these before, when Jenica was about 5.  She never forgave me.  Well, maybe she did,.  But she still talks about how mad she got when I fooled her.  It was a recipe I found in the Family Fun magazine.  This time around, I made real cupcakes for dessert.  I didn't do that when Jenica was little, which was what really got me in trouble with my little princess-with-the-huge-sweet-tooth.  I learned my lesson. 

And for dessert . . .


Real chocolate cupcakes with real buttercream frosting.  (#458)

April Fools Cupcakes
2 lbs lean ground beef
1 cup bread crumbs
1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
6 TB ketchup
2 eggs
1 tsp Rosemary Blend seasoning
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. chili pepper
1 tsp. basil
approximately 6 cups mashed potatoes (I like to add a little garlic and sour cream to them)

Line 24 muffin tin cups with foil baking cups. Mix together all meat loaf ingredients until well combined.  Divide the mixture evenly among lined cups, about 3/4 full.  Bake at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes or until heated through. 

Divide the mashed potatoes among three small bowls and stir a few drops of food coloring into each batch to create different colors of "frosting".  Spread a generous dollop on each cupcake before serving.

1 comment:

  1. I love this! SO cute and such a memory to have. This will be something I'll copy for Ruby in a year or two.

    ReplyDelete