Background

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Plan B

Things don't always go as planned.  But I can always find a blessing, hidden in the situation, if I look hard enough.  (Blessing # 560)

Last Saturday, I began preheating the oven when all of a sudden . . . Snap . . . Sizzle . . . Zap . . . FIRE!   Thankfully, it was only a small fire, and Chad was standing right next to the oven (doing dishes, I might add - #561), and could shut it off right away (#562).  The heating element went out with a bang.  I'm also thankful for on-line parts ordering (#563), but it won't be here until Thursday.  In the meantime, I am without an oven.  Which would be fine most weeks.  However . . .

Tomorrow is Jillian's Birthday!

And I have treats to make and a cake to bake!

When I asked Jillian what she'd like to take for treats, she said, "star-shaped cookies with red frosting that say "You Are A Star" so each of her friends will feel good about being special."  Awww . . . such a heart of compassion.    (#564)

However, I kind of needed an oven in order to satisfy her wishes.  Thus, Plan B.

Our church has two ovens, which would really help speed things up.  (See, a blessing in disguise.)  (#565)  So I went to the church to bake 40 giant star cookies and a 2-layer cake this morning.  It's the best sugar cookie recipe ever!   Secret ingredient:  buttermilk.



After I got home, I began mixing up frosting . . . and frosting . . . and more frosting. 



After Jillian's bath, she and Jenica went out to jump on the trampoline.  She said "it'll be the last time I get to jump on the trampoline as a 7-year-old."  (sniff, sniff) She's so sentimental.  (#566) 

Here's another example . . .

Our garage door died a couple weeks ago, and we got a new one installed on Monday while she was in school.  (Finally!  #567)  When she got home from school, I said "I have a surprise for you, Jillian!"  (I got a little excited about a new garage door since we hadn't been able to get our cars into the garage for over 2 weeks.)  Anyway, Jillian looked at the new door with a sad face and said, "I didn't get to say good-bye to our old one." 

Tomorrow's her BIG day.  (#568)   Age 8.  Wow!  I can't believe she's already going to be 8.  Stay tuned for Party details. 

Blessing #569 - Super excited that my little brother and his wife are flying in from Arizona tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment