Background

Friday, April 27, 2012

Two Crooked Smiles

I broke a tooth a couple nights ago, and Dr. Grant was kind enough to squeeze me into his schedule yesterday at 4pm.  (Blessing #585)  I'm so glad I didn't have to wait very long.  I had Jillian with me at the dentist office, of course.  But before Jillian left for school yesterday morning, she showed me a BIG yellowish bump on her gum on the top right side.  Oh, my stars!  It looked awful! 

It was bothering her, and hurt to eat on that side.  So when I walked into the dentist office to get my tooth fixed yesterday,  I asked Grant to take a peek at Jillian's sore spot on her gum and let me know what he thought. 

Abscessed tooth.   Great…  (can you sense the sarcasm?)

I said, “and what do I do about that?”  Suddenly, a look of fear appeared on the hygienist's face as she tried to find the words to answer my question.  Grant quickly broke the silence as he smiled and patted Jillian’s shoulder, and in his oh-so-gentle demeanor said, “we can fix it, sweetheart.”  He's so great with kids.  (#586)

30 minutes later, Jillian climbed out of her chair, slightly trembling at the thought of what she just experienced, with a look in her eye that said "what just happened to me?"  She flexed her courage muscles and was a brave little girl.  (#587)  As we walked towards the door, Kay said “Jillian, you’d better let your mom drive home today.  I don’t think you should probably drive this afternoon.”  Kay sent us out the door and on our way with two very crooked smiles and orders to eat soft ice cream for supper.  Both of us.  (#588)

We both had crooked smiles, which made the unpleasant experience a little better because it was shared between the bond of mother and daughter.  Something that was a gift, of sorts . . .  That we weren’t alone in our misery.  I knew how she felt, and she knew how I felt.  (#589)

Jillian kept saying “dumb” instead of “numb,” which added a little silliness to the experience Jillian and I shared.   Even this morning, she’s still talking about her “dumb tooth.”  And how the “dentist made her tooth dumb.”  Not dumb Jillian.  Numb.   She was off to school this morning without the aid of Tylenol or ibuprofen.  (#590)  All was well, and her focus quickly shifted to the birthday party for Izzy that she'd be attending this afternoon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment