Background

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

March Joy Dare

Each month, the One Thousand Gifts blog, throws out a challenge called The Joy Dare.  Last month, I printed out the March Joy Dare and looked for glimpses of God's glory, grace, and goodness as I went through each day.  The Joy Dare suggests 3 Gifts to look for each day of the month.  His love.  His amazing love, poured out on us. 


And so to spread the Joy, I'm going to share my list with you.  (Blessings #459-551)

3 Gifts at 3pm
~ Working on this week's Coaches Wives Bible Study
~ A text from Jacob
~ The smell of my "sparkling cinnamon" Yankee Candle (a gift from Jacob)

3 Gifts Green
~ grass beginning to turn from brown to green thanks to warm weather and rain
~ Jacob's green "Trinity Red" t-shirt from his summer softball team - just washed, dried, & folded.
~ the house plants that I've managed to keep alive

3 Gifts Wore
~ this year's state basketball t-shirt, a sign of hard-work and dedication from coaches and players
~ wearing two pairs of socks, in attempt to keep my feet warm during the cold winter months
~ my wedding ring

3 Gifts Hard
~ Letting go of control
~ Parenting - it keeps me on my knees
~ Paying for Jacob's (expensive) car insurance - and thankful he's still with us after his horrible car accident in 2006

3 Gifts Found
~ The mail - I lost it. I knew I got the mail out of the mailbox.  But where did I put it?  At last, it was found.  Still in the mailbox.
~ A new recipe, thanks to Pinterest
~ The song "Pray" by Kendall Payne - perfect compliment to our Bible Study tonight.

A Gift Bent, Broken, and Beautiful
~ Bent - crooked fingers and the effects of living with rheumatoid arthritis for over 20 years
~ Broken - Jesus' body, broken for me
~ Beautiful - a text from Jacob that says "I love you, Mom."

3 Gifts in Kitchen
~ A really cool silicone splatter guard, a gift from Sami
~ Egg cartons, filled with farm-fresh eggs from generous friends
~ Jenica and a friend, giggling while decorating cupcakes on a Friday night

3 Gifts Loud
~ Girls having fun and laughing in the family room downstairs
~ Cardinal's song always sounds loudest in the morning, as I lie in bed wishing I could sleep just a little longer
~ Windows open on a warm spring day, allowing the sound of a spray plane taking off to become even louder.

3 Gifts Carved
~ LaVerne's rocking chair - a special memory
~ Full moon's reflection, carved into the rippling water of the Platte River below
~ The Cross that hangs in our home, hand-crafted by friends of my parents

3 Gifts In Christ
~ Peace that surpasses all understanding
~ His Sacrificial Love
~ Life eternal

3 Gifts Read
~ Amelia Bedelia, with Jillian
~ Romans 4
~ A note from Jillian's music teacher, announcing their upcoming Spring Program

A Gift in Wind, Water, and White
Wind - The US flag, blowing strong against the bright blue spring sky
Water - My husband's hands, doing supper dishes for me
White - Bright white moon, perched high in the morning blue sky, on the way to school

3 Gifts Round
~ Big orange ball of fire, rising above the horizon, giving light to my day
~ Grapefruit, handpicked and delivered by my parents upon their return home from TX
~ Circle of coaches wives that faithfully meet each week at Beth's home

3 Gifts Found In Silence
~ Sitting in a quiet house, daughter doing homework, windows open as the sounds of spring floats inside
~ Biting my lip, to avoid an "I told you so" moment.
~ Sleep - aahhhhhh.....

3 Gifts Given Away
~ Old gently used toys to our local daycare and church nursery
~ St. Patrick's Day cookies delivered to 2 different neighbors
~ 3 Mountain Dew Throwbacks, hand-delivered to energize the soccer coaches on their first away game of the season

3 Hard Eucharisteos
~ Having 3 children, each with heart defects
~ Watching those I love go through difficult times
~ Health challenges that will never go away on this side of eternity

A Gift Turned, Folded, and Hung
Turned - Farm fresh eggs made into scrambled eggs for breakfast
Folded - Pesto Bread - kneaded and folded into a delicious blend of savory flavors
Hung - Intricate Danish cut-out hearts from my Aunt Joyce, hung on my hallway mirror

3 Gifts Red
~ The blood of Christ, shed for me
~ The color of "good luck" in China
~ Antique Quilts made of red fabric

3 Gifts Eaten
~ Still enjoying fresh Texas grapefruit - juicy, tart, yet sweet - from my parents
~ Pesto Bread - It's amazing! 
~ Digesting the Word of God - Ephesians 4 - in preparation for our Coaches Wives Bible Study

3 Gifts That Made You Laugh
~ On the way to school, Jillian trying to get her backpack on upside down
~ Jillian's immitation of Kung Fu Panda
~ Sharing laughter (over such silly things) with group of friends

A Gift Salty, Sweet, and Just Right
Salty - memories of playing in the salty ocean last summer
Sweet - "Bunny Mix" m&ms
Just Right - Beef Stew, made in my pressure cooker

3 Gifts Found In His Word
 Suffering isn't in vain.  God doesn't waste a hurt.  "Rejoice in our suffering, because suffering produces perseverance, perseverance character, and character hope.  And our hope is in Christ Jesus."  Romans 5:3-5
~ God's grace rescues us.  It's nothing we have done.  It's all by grace.  "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - not by works, so that no one can boast."  Ephesians 2:8-9
~ God is sufficient.  I can trust Him to meet all my needs.  "So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid.  What can man do to me?"'  Hebrews 13:6

3 Gifts Found In Women
~ The passion seen in my dear friend's life, as she coaches women on fitness, a healthy relationship with food, and recognizing their beauty within. 
~ An old friend, who longs to make the difference in the lives of women half-way across the world on her 2-week missions trip to India.
~ Kisses From Katie - her amazing heart of love for orphans

3 Gifts Spoken
~ A husband who tells me I'm beautiful, even when I look my worst.
~ "I love you, mom." from my teenage daughter.
~ Sharing our "sweets" and "sours" with Jillian at bedtime.

A Gift Sung, Written, And Painted
Sung - Praise and Worship at church
Written - God's Word
Painted - Lines painted on the grass, marking the soccer fields for spring soccer

3 Gifts Almost Gone
~ Grapefruit from Texas - only a couple left
~ Freshly brewed green tea - I need to get more tea bags
~ Jenica's middle school years are coming to a close quickly

3 Gifts Redeemed
~ I've been redeemed by the blood of Jesus
~ Jillian's "Book-It" coupon for a free personal pan pizza upon completion of her book goals
~ No matter what mistakes we've made, God's mercies are new every morning.

3 Gifts Entwined
~ Jillian's braided hair
~ My husband and children's hearts with mine
~ The Invisible Red Thread

3 Gifts Of HIS Promises
~ Jeremiah 29:11
~ Isaiah 49:13
~ Philippians 4:19

3 Gifts Uncovered
~ Jenica's foot - doc says "she no longer has to wear her boot."
~ Saturday mornings - a day for sleeping late . . . one by one we pulled back the covers to begin the day.  First Chad.  Then Jillian.  Then me.  And finally, Jenica.
~ God's Word - when the words on the pages come alive and speak truth to my heart.

A Gift Heard, Held, Hoped For
Heard - our kids and neighbor kids, laughing and enjoying the 85 degree weather with a water fight.
Held - Jillian climbing into my lap
Hoped For - That Jillian's "China-mom" would come to know Jesus as her personal Savior so she and Jillian could spend all of eternity together.  


Who wants to print out the April Joy Dare and start counting the Gifts?


James 1:17 "Every good and perfect Gift is from above..."

No comments:

Post a Comment