Background

Sunday, November 27, 2011

A Nice Long Thanksgiving Break

(22)  No school.  I don't know who loves the holiday school breaks more:  my husband or my children.  One of the things we always do on school breaks, is play games as a family.  I married a very competitive husband, who passed those genes down to our children, and game day around here gets pretty crazy sometimes.  I am the one who plays for fun, but if I have the chance to beat my competitive hubby, then I definitely will take that opportunity.  All in fun, of course.  I'm thankful for a family who enjoys playing games.  We have some of the best memories sitting around the table, playing games.  "Phase 10" is our family's favorite.  Jillian either watches or sits on my lap and helps me.  She doesn't like to lose, so she would rather watch. 
(23)  Jacob was home from college over Thanksgiving break, and his girlfriend Sami got to spend some QT with him (and us) over the long weekend.  We love having Sami around, and since her family is a big "game" family too, she fits in really well.  BTW....Jacob surprised us with a new hairdo when he got home. 
 
(24) Pinterest.com.  Wow!  For those of you who have experienced pinterest.com, you know what I mean.  It is full of great ideas.  Here's one idea that we tried last week.  They are coasters that the girls made for their school teachers.  We used a 4x4 tile from Menards, some scrapbook paper, and some homemade mod podge.  After three coats of mod podge, we sprayed some polyurethane on them (to make them water proof), and will put some felt on the bottom before they are ready to be used.  Easy!  And cute! 
(25)  Family time.  Because my sister lives a couple miles away, and my parents are only about 25 miles away, we are fortunate to spend lots of time together.  On Saturday, everyone came to our home to enjoy some left-over turkey (26 -- I love leftover turkey!) and to play some games.  We can be a pretty competitive bunch, but it's all in fun, and we do a lot of laughing as we play games around the table .  Jenica & Hayden are old enough to join us in our games, but they sometimes would rather jump on the trampoline or just hang out doing something else.  And Jillian and Xander are always busy, busy, busy.  They climbed in this chair long enough for me to snap a picture.

(27) Flippin' Sweet Pizza.  We enjoyed some pizza and one of their huge calzones over the weekend.  The owners moved here from San Francisco a few years ago, and their pizza and calzones are AMAZING!!  We are so lucky to have Flippin' Sweet in our little town. 
(28)  Christmas Movies.  Everyone knows that Christmas is my most favorite time of the year.  Even though I have been listening to Christmas music for a couple weeks now, we waited until today to start watching Christmas Movies.  (Jacob even took a stack of Christmas movies back to college with him to watch with his buddies.)  First up today:  Elf.  "The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear."  And "does somebody need a hug?" (two of my favorite lines from the movie)   Second up:  Christmas With The Kranks.  I especially love this movie because it reminds me of the trip our small group gals took to the Omaha/Lincoln area a few years ago.  We packed a lot of Christmas fun into those 2 days:  a concert by Michael W Smith, The Katinas, and Point of Grace; great food; a little shopping; lots of laughing; and the movie Christmas With The Kranks.  I'm so thankful that God uses things like these to remind me of special times I've had with family and friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment