Background

Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving

(21) We had a wonderful Thanksgiving Day yesterday.  We joined my sister's family at my parents' farm for a noon feast.  One of my favorite things to do is go around the table and name something we're thankful for.  We all took turns as we passed the food, as there really is MUCH to be thankful for.  We take a lot of things for granted, actually.  How many of us grumble about the piles of laundry we have?  Instead, we should be grateful for all the laundry we have because that means we have a family to care for.  We all agreed that we are thankful for my brother's family in Arizona, and even though weren't around the table with us, they were in our hearts.  Mid-afternoon, our family left for Hastings to help serve the Thanksgiving Meal at a homeless shelter.  It was a very humbling experience.  It reminded me of the difference between "wants" and "needs."  We were reminded again  how much we have to be Thankful for: family, friends, a job, a home and so much we dont need. Thank you Lord, for everything I need and so much more.  My heart ached as I saw single-parent families go through the line, wondering what their story was.  They were so grateful for our help, and for all the yummy traditional thanksgiving food was available to them.  I love the four-phase process Crossroads goes through, as they help each and every person get back on their feet.  We may think there's nothing we can possibly do to help.  But there is.  We have time, and we have resources.  I'm reminded that Christ has called us to be His hands and feet, not only when it's convenient for us, but when there's sacrifice involved on our part.

No comments:

Post a Comment