Background

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Danish Heritage

(13)  "Mange Tak".  That's Danish for "many thanks."  My family's roots trace back to Denmark, and I can remember my grandfather speaking Danish for us when I was a little girl.  I heard him say certain phrases and sayings so much that I can recite the words.  My aunt Joyce is planning our family Christmas gathering this year, and when we all get together, we are each going to bring some Danish snacks to enjoy.  So, I did some searching on line and found a few recipes that I'd like to make.  And today I did a practice run of Danish Rye Bread or "rugbrød" in Danish.  I decided to make it into a long loaf this time around.  Did you hear that?  "This Time."  I'm certain that I'll make it again.  And if it turns out good today, I'll make a crunchy spinach dip to go with it for our celebration.  It's an easy recipe and doesn't have much prep time at all.  However, it's about 18 hours from start to finish.  It is made using a process similar to sourdough, which is why it takes so long to develop the perfect flavor.  Doesn't it look beautiful! 

I love that we are going to celebrate in Danish fashion this year.  My grandparents would have LOVED being part of this!  And I'm excited to share some of our Danish heritage with my own children.
Danish Rye Bread

In the morning:
1 c. warm water
1 TB yeast
1 TB white sugar
1 c. rye flour
In a large bowl, combine the above ingredients, then cover batter loosely and place in a warm, draft-free spot.  (I used my oven and left the oven light on for a while to create a nice warm "womb" for my "brød" to grow.)
In the evening:
1 tsp. yeast
1 tsp. white sugar
1/2 c. warm water
1 c. rye flour
In same bowl, add the above ingredients and mix well.  Cover again, and set aside overnight. (I put it back into my warm oven.)
In the morning:
Mix in:
1 TB sugar
1 TB Kosher Salt (or 3/4 TB Sea Salt or 3/4 TB table salt)
1 c. warm water
Gradually add:
2 c. rye flour
1 c. all-purpose flour (or more)
When dough has "pulled together" turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes.  Form into a loaf, and place on a baking sheet.  Allow to rise for about 40 minutes.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. 
Servings per Recipe:  12 (172 calories each, 37.2g carbs, 5.5g fiber, 4.8g protien)

No comments:

Post a Comment