Background

Monday, November 21, 2011

Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner

(14)  Wild Turkeys.  Have you ever wondered why we eat turkey on Thanksgiving Day?  Why not ham, or pork, or beef?  Well, I did some research on the internet (no one goes to the big heavy encyclopedia anymore) and found an answer.  The real reason turkey was served (along with deer) at the First Thanksgiving was meerly because it was available.  Yep.  Now that's not a very exciting answer, but it's the truth.  Unlike chicken (with eggs) and cows (with milk), the turkey really doesn't provide anything other than the meat.  And turkeys were more abundant and easier to find than geese.  Poor little turkeys. 
Recently, we've been noticing two wild turkeys that have been wondering around the north side of Holdrege.  I usually see them in someone's yard or crossing the street by the park.  Today, a friend and I took advantage of Sonic's "Happy Hour" and then drove to the park to see if we could find the turkeys.  When we arrived, the turkeys were perched on top of the railing by the boat dock, but since I didn't have my camera with me at the time, I missed capturing it for you.  When I returned to the park with my camera, we found the turkeys pecking on seeds or something in the grass, just strolling around like the belonged there.  The swans have some competition!  Just look at these pretty turkeys that have decided to claim our park as their home.  Now, if we lived somewhere that had wild turkeys running around all the time, this wouldn't be that big of deal.  But they usually just stay by the rivers.  So, they really get our attention, and we have been watching out for them as they cross the streets.  They've become part of the community.


No comments:

Post a Comment